The Foundation Of The Breed
YOU MUST BE SIGNED IN TO VIEW ALL THE SECTIONS. IT IS A SIMPLE AND EASY PROCESS. NEW INFORMATION IS ADDED TO THE SITE ALMOST EVERYDAY. THANK YOU FOR VISITING.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

YOU MUST BE SIGNED IN TO VIEW ALL THE SECTIONS. IT IS A SIMPLE AND EASY PROCESS. NEW INFORMATION IS ADDED TO THE SITE ALMOST EVERYDAY. THANK YOU FOR VISITING.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MORE FINLEY RIVER CHIEF HISTORY Continued part 3

Go down

MORE FINLEY RIVER CHIEF HISTORY Continued part 3 Empty MORE FINLEY RIVER CHIEF HISTORY Continued part 3

Post  finleyriverchief Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:41 pm

reddogg
UKC Board Member

history
I have learned more on your web site & talking with Robert Starke about these walker dogs . Sometimes I get my crosses mixed up but it all works out.
I do belive some people think that the strain they are hunting today has fallen from the heavens or just from the guy down the road . There sre alot of traits that are still there .Example my female (Trackman) I thought she was great about learning how to shake hands and the way she kicks her head at you . I thought I taught her at 3-4 months . W.P.Jackson another (Trackman) pup came along guess what he already new how .Its in their blood to be friendly

04-15-2009 10:18 AM

HistoryNutt
UKC Board Member

Reddogg, I am glad the website has been of help to you. That was the purpose on putting it up so people would have a resource to help with the history of the breed. I still have a lot of work to do on it but to know people are finding it useful makes it worth all the work that has to go into it.

04-16-2009 12:28 AM

THOMAS WILBERS
UKC Board Member

DON ! THANK'S FOR PUTTING THE INFO ON TRAP UNDER SPECIAL FEMALES OF THE BREED . SHE WAS A GOOD ONE AND A GREAT REPRODUCER ! THANK'S TOM

04-16-2009 09:28 AM

reddogg
UKC Board Member

yes sir
Some people just dont want to belive what they here about there dogs lol lol

04-16-2009 10:33 AM

Robert Starke
UKC Board Member

Spring Creek Rock-FR Dan and Dan Jr. crosses
Those crosses worked well. Share with us some of your experiences breeding and raising some very nice Walkers.

Good Hunting,
Robert

Ch. Starke's Finley River Tom
Ch. Starke's Table Rock Jewell
Ch. Track Man's Trouble
Starke's Finley River Dixie-(2) 1st

04-17-2009 06:18 AM

HistoryNutt
UKC Board Member

Re: Spring Creek Rock-FR Dan and Dan Jr. crosses

04-20-2009 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Robert Starke
Those crosses worked well. Share with us some of your experiences breeding and raising some very nice Walkers.

Good Hunting,
Robert

Robert, I will try to get something up in the next few days.

MORE FINLEY RIVER CHIEF HISTORY Continued part 3 Scan0041-2

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION FINLEY RIVER HATCHET

MORE FINLEY RIVER CHIEF HISTORY Continued part 3 Scan0020-1-2-1

GRAND CHAMPION NITE CHAMPION SPRING CREEK MAX

reddogg
UKC Board Member

btt
btt

04-20-2009 05:28 PM
HistoryNutt
UKC Board Member

FINLEY RIVER TRAP

04-20-2009 11:26 PM

Originally posted by THOMAS WILBERS
DON ! THANK'S FOR PUTTING THE INFO ON TRAP UNDER SPECIAL FEMALES OF THE BREED . SHE WAS A GOOD ONE AND A GREAT REPRODUCER ! THANK'S TOM

Your welcome Tom. I am proud to have a female like Trap in my pups pedigree. I have always been of the belief in the importance of the female in any good breeding program.

https://finleyriverchief.forumotion.net/special-females-of-the-breed-f55/mear-s-finley-river-trap-t843.htm

Robert Starke
UKC Board Member

Trap
I raised her mother and her sire from pups. They were nice. Trap was treeing cats when she was a little pup. I walked down to the woods to get her off the tree several days. Boy, I was proud of that pup. She was a natural. I sold her to Tom. He did a fine job with her.

Ch. Starke's Finley River Tom
Ch. Starke's Table Rock Jewell
Ch. Track Man's Trouble
Starke's Finley River Dixie-(2) 1st

04-21-2009 08:12 AM

trappin_girl
UKC Board Member

pretty much all my dogs have finley river chief... i dont have the papers on me because i am at school. but hopefully soon i can get some papers up... 6 gen.... i might have to email them to ya though HistoryNutt

built to last!

Home of the Only

GrFch GrNiteCh GrCh 'Pr' Cal's Timber Traveller

GrNiteCh GrCh 'Pr' Cal's Timber Cutter

PR Sam's Southern Jewel

Owner: Sammy Cottrell

'Pr' Traveller's Dream
a.k.a Dixie

Owner: Sammy Cottrell and Chris Neff

Trappin is what i do best at and a lot of people really dont like that but the way i see it is that they will get over it...eventually...

Next Generation News:
Youth Reporter

04-21-2009 09:04 AM

HistoryNutt
UKC Board Member

Re: Spring Creek Rock-FR Dan and Dan Jr. crosses

04-23-2009 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Robert Starke

Good Hunting,
Robert

In my mind Finley River Chief was and is the greatest producer in the Treeing Walker Breed. There are a lot of things involved for me to make that statement. But with some time and effort I believe people would be surprised as to how much Finley River Chief touches the different so called strains.

Chief wasn't an accident. His father and mother were two of the best hounds of their day. I have seen people say Chief was the only thing one or both of them produced as far as making a name. That wasn't really the case. Both hounds produced many fine hounds. But when they came together history was made.

They were coondogs that were out of coondogs that could tree a rough coon and had a very cold nose. They weren't accidents.

If you take Finley River Chief, Shetler's Sonny Boy and Bixler's Supreme Sally and research you will find that this line touchs more lines then you may realize. It doesn't just have to be through Chief for the name of Sonny Boy or Sally to show up.

I have heard people say the only thing Sally produced was Finley River Chief so it must have been a lucky roll of the dice. People who make statements like that haven't done their homework on the history of this breed.

Now to the crossing of some of these hounds. I and a lot of other people hold this belief. Mear's Finley River Dan was the best reproducing son of Finley River Chief. Spring Creek Rock was the best reproducing Grand Son of Finley River Chief. Monroe's Finley River Joe was the type of hound a lot of people thought about when they thought about the good traits of the Finley River Hounds.

I found in my experience when you crossed the offspring of Finley River Dan, Spring Creek Rock, and Finley River Joe that you would get coonhounds that looked pretty good also.

I also felt like Spring Creek Radar was one of the best reproducing sons of Rock. Take Radar for example. He was out of Spring Creek Rock, but on his mother's side he also went back to Mear's Finley River Dan and Claxton's Finley River Spot.

One of the best crosses in its day was the cross of McCallister's Finley River Banjo and Kalal's Minnesota Cookie. Banjo was one of the hot studs of his day. His father Mear's Finley River Sonny was out of Mear's Finley River Dan and a female who was a grand daughter of Finley River Chief.

When people talked about what Cookie was out of you always heard Finley River Dan Jr. You hardly ever heard someone mention the other dogs in her pedigree. But Cookie's mother was out of Flat Branch Joker and Roger's Missouri Valley Joy.

Joker was a brother to Monroe's Little Chief and Godwin's Jolly. They were out of Finley River Chief and Godwin's Little Jewel who was out of Banjo II.

Joy was a sister to Ky River Jill, Finley River Joe's mother. Jly and Jill were out of Finley River Buck who was a grandson of Finley River Chief.

Over and over again if you follow these dogs back far enough you will see how much Finley River Chief or his line was a part of some of these so called other strains.

The cross that produced Spring Creek Max, Spring Creek Rocky and others was a combination of this line of Finley River Bred Hounds. My Finisher Bit female was out of my Cher female and Gann's Finisher. Of course Finisher was out of Finley River Chief. Don't anyone think that Gann's Finisher wasn't a coon dog. He could and would tree a rough coon and in my mind he would tree a rougher coon then Beanblossom Buck.

I bred Bit to my Patch dog who was out of Monroe's Finley River Joe and my Patches female. We are talking Finley River here but I did have quite a bit of Mack Twain in my hounds. That was a hound a lot of people don't know about in this day but he did a lot to help with the foundation of the breed. He should be in the Hall Of Fame as shoud his grand pup, Hershberger's Texas Babe.

Patch and Bit produced my Polly female who I bred to Finley River Dan to get my Pearl female. I was lucky enough to get Pearl bred to Spring Creek Rock before he died. She was the last female bred to him before he died.

After being out of the sport so long I felt very lucky to find dogs that went back to my old dogs and Max was actually in the 4th generation plus in the pedigree a couple more times. They did a great job of continuing to breed these hounds the same way I was attempting to breed them. Spring Creek Rock going through a number of different hounds as was Finley River Dan and Finley River Joe.

They can still tree a rough coon, you don't get a lot of misses and they are coon dogs. The pup I have now goes back to Finley River Chief over 60 times. I am still working on carrying it out all the way.

There are still some people out there who have a high concentration of the Finley River Strain. It is in more hounds then many may realize.

Here is something for people to think about. I am not trying to take away from these other strains but facts are facts.

Table Rock Flying Hawk's grand mother is a half sister to Finley River Chief being out of Bixler's Supreme Sally.

Yadkin River Jeff goes back to Shetler's Sonny Boy on his top side through Tut's Tillie. On Jeff's bottom side he goes back to Shetler's Sonny Boy again through Tillie and also Jeff's Grandsire is out of a daughter of Finley River Chief.

Bear Creek Princess goes back to Chief on her mothers side with Chief being the grandsire of her mother. Bear Creek Princess father was Proters Melody Bill. Bill's father Buck Creek Rowdy was out of Finley River Chief's littermate sister.

Yadkin Tar Rattler not only goes back to Chief and Sonny Boy on his top side through Yadkin River Jeff but also on Rattler's bottom side he goes back to Sonny Boy also through Swan's Rock.

Nocturnal Nailor not only goes back to Chief and Sonny Boy through Rattler he goes back to Spring Creek Rock on his mother's side.

Rock River Sackett goes back to Chief and Sonny Boy through Yadkin River Jeff on both sides but also picks up Chief again through River Bend Flag on Sackett's bottom side and through Finley River Spike on Sackett's top side.

Rock River Sackett Jr. you get the times back to Chief and Sonny Boy through Sackett but also on Junior's mothers side he goes back to Chief three times through Can Win Jude and 3 more times through Spring Creek Rock, Gann's Finisher and Finley RIver Buck. I haven't even carried this out all the way yet.

I will put more down at a later time but wanted to put down a few of the hounds that go back to Finley River Chief or his line that people may not realize.

MORE FINLEY RIVER CHIEF HISTORY Continued part 3 FinleyRiverMagic1-1

FINLEY RIVER MAGIC
finleyriverchief
finleyriverchief
Admin

Number of posts : 4383
Registration date : 2008-08-14

https://finleyriverchief.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down