The Foundation Of The Breed
YOU MUST BE SIGNED IN TO VIEW ALL THE SECTIONS. IT IS A SIMPLE AND EASY PROCESS. NEW INFORMATION IS ADDED TO THE SITE ALMOST EVERYDAY. THANK YOU FOR VISITING.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

YOU MUST BE SIGNED IN TO VIEW ALL THE SECTIONS. IT IS A SIMPLE AND EASY PROCESS. NEW INFORMATION IS ADDED TO THE SITE ALMOST EVERYDAY. THANK YOU FOR VISITING.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago?

+4
puppy27
toe cutter
HistoryNutt
MysticMoonDog
8 posters

Go down

How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago? Empty How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago?

Post  MysticMoonDog Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:20 pm

As I look at some of the pictures and the history of the breed on http://www.finleyriverchief.com some questions come to mind. They are:

Are the hounds of today more likely to slick tree then the hounds of years past?

How much lying at the tree is considered too much?

Are the money hunts partly responsible in the change in the tree style if there is one?

What percentage of slick trees is considered to much?

What strain or bloodlines appear to be the biggest liars?

Would a hunter that is only a pleasure hunter consider them real coonhounds?
Remember The Past, That Is Where The Present Came From!

Don

MysticMoonDog

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago? Empty Re: How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago?

Post  MysticMoonDog Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:22 pm

RiverBottom said:

August 16, 2008 3:53 PM
I had a hound out of Tarheel Casey, grand pup of Carolia Casey that was born in '79. Slick treein'est dog I ever owned. I think slick treeing is a lot more common now days, but it isn't new. On the other hand, there were more dogs back then that wouldn't tree at all than there is now days.

The best ones tree quick and have the coon. They are just as hard to find now as they ever were, maybe harder.

MysticMoonDog

Back to top Go down

How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago? Empty Re: How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago?

Post  MysticMoonDog Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:24 pm

ruby54501 said:

After breeding old Mear's Finley River and Spring Creek Rock line for almost 20 years. I don't ever remember having trouble getting a dog to tree. Most comp bred dogs today are hot nose one bark tree dog with no tracking ability just tree happy. If you can't run and tree a hot coon today and have the coon I would say that is a problem. We still love to hear the dogs on track and check the tree to make sure the game is there and not waste time on a track speed and they now how to move and get treed. After 20 years me and the husband and some friends can't remember having a slick tree only once in a great while maybe a pup once a year. But then we never had the kind of dog that couldn't finish a track they started and have a coon in a tree. To me a slick treeing dog just don't have the nose and just gets tree happy. But then that is one of the things the guys love about that old Finley River line we have they are such super hard tree dogs. Now everytime some one gets us to breed outside the line then yes we do seem to not have as good of track and tree quality we are us to. But then the guys tell me its all in the breeding and the quality of the breeding that keeps the track and treeing genetics going. Most of the dogs are getting so big and heavy that can't even hunt all night like the use too either.

MysticMoonDog

Back to top Go down

How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago? Empty More Slick Treeing?

Post  HistoryNutt Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:47 am

I am sorry to say that it appears that there may be more slick trees today then 20 years ago. It seems like some have gotten involved in the sport who are more concerned with competition hunts then what makes a real coon dog. There is a difference.

HistoryNutt

Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  toe cutter Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:39 am

people started breeding so many hard tree dogs to hard tree dogs and ignored the tracking ability. to me, since the tree is the end of the track, a dog must have the tracking ability first and foremost to be accurate tree dogs.some talk about dogs being 80% accurate is the highest % of dogs and no dog is 100% accurate. i believe if a dog has the tracking sense it will finish the track to the right end. it was true 20 yrs ago and is true today. i just think some use it as an excuse for the ignorant breeding that made the slick treeing idiots so abundant.it don't matter how loud and how hard a dog trees if it aint got the coon.i think the reason dogs are differant today is because hard tree dogs got so popular because they sound good,but 20 yrs ago it was all about having an accurate dog being the most important ability.i have hunted and bred the same line of red eagle dogs off finley river dan for many years. the main reason is because of the track power that makes them accurate. i have never had to give up any tracking traits to still have the type of hard tree dogs produced from the old blood.

toe cutter

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Back to top Go down

How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago? Empty slick treeing

Post  puppy27 Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:28 pm

i hunted for 32 years and i can tell a big difference in dogs then and now and i agree with u i think the hunts has hurt alot of the breeds the slick treeing and most od all the noise thats why i quit the hurts and just hurt with buddys and i still hurts the houses blood and dont have that touble out od them
puppy27
puppy27

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago? Empty my 2 cents....

Post  ALcoonslammer Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:55 pm

I've been hunting now for around 12 years. I have ran across very few "coon dogs." I don't say this because I'm the owner, but I own the best coon dog I have ever hunted with. She's a distant kin to Nelson's radar. I got her when she was 6 weeks old and she is now nearing 11 years old. She treed her first coon with no aid from another dog when she was 6 months old. To that I say, "A coon dog is trained, not bought or sold!" I mainly enjoy pleasure hunting with family and friends, however I have occasionally entered competitions. In my opinion, coon hunting is about fun, hearing a good race, and being around good company. Competitions completely ruin and molest this environment. They are not fun, due mainly to bad sportsmanship and greed. It's not about fun anymore. Now it's about winning! Especially when prizes are involved. The sad part is that the "true coon hunters" and "true coon hounds" you saw 20 years ago will rarely, if ever, be seen at a competition today! They still exist, but they hunt in the shadows instead of publicly! They hunt where the "true coon hunting environment" is preserved! Let em go boys!

ALcoonslammer

Registration date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

How Do Hounds Of Today Compare To Hounds Of 20 Years Ago? Empty coon dogs of my early years

Post  Roe Mon May 13, 2013 4:38 pm

I owned a Banjo bred female and bred her to a direct son of Finley River Chief. All that were hunted and trained right turned out to be very good trail hounds and great tree dogs. This litter was born on Friday the 13 1972. All but 2 were given away at that time. Ones i kept were Buck and True Gal.

Roe

Registration date : 2013-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post  lowell lynn Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:45 am

As you are asking the type of questions you are asking,I am assuming you havnt been out much with this newer stock of hounds.Twenty five years ago hounds were closer hunting and more accurate.Now they drop in there 800 yards and tree up a telephone pole if a coon gets within 20 yards of it. Then they primarily were honest strike dogs that had a beautiful bawl mouth on track.Now Its being ruined with babbling,every breath chop bark on track and about 40% accurate. But hey,they are making a killing with them and believe they have something when they tree a real one every now and again!! Smile

lowell lynn

Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Ronnie A. Moore Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 am

I agree with alot of what ya ll say,but it also comes down to the breeders . They used to CULL hounds that did not meet their standards not just give them to the first person that came along.Yes it sounds cruel but that is the way it was, sometimes I think we may need that again.And yes comp. hunters do vary from coon hunters but that is what makes the world go around....
But .... Give me the old blood anyday anyway..

Ronnie A. Moore

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum